Click on the photo and links.
Since You Went Away is a 1944 American epic about the American home front during World War II that was adapted and produced by David O. Selznick from the 1943 novel Since You Went Away: Letters to a Soldier from His Wife by Margaret Buell Wilder. The music score was by Max Steiner....
The film is set in a mid-sized American town, where people with loved ones in the Armed Forces try to cope with their changed circumstances and make their own contributions to the war effort. The town is near a military base, and some of the characters are troops serving Stateside.
Though sentimental in places, Since You Went Away is somber at times about the effects of war on ordinary people. Some characters on the homefront are dealing with grief, loneliness, or fear for the future. The cast is wonderful; here's a sample:
Claudette Colbert as Mrs. Anne Hilton; Jennifer Jones as Jane Deborah Hilton; Joseph Cotten as Lieutenant Commander Tony Willett; Shirley Temple as Bridget 'Brig' Hilton; Monty Woolley as Colonel William G. Smollett; Lionel Barrymore as Clergyman; Robert Walker as Corporal William G. 'Bill' Smollett II; Hattie McDaniel as Fidelia; Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Emily Hawkins....
You can check out the trailer for the film on YouTube here.
IT'S ALSO AVAILABLE ON AMAZON HERE. Put this one on your bucket list.
SEE MORE MOVIES FOR YOUR BUCKET LIST AT THE LINKS BELOW:
- BARABBAS; CLICK HERE
- HESTER STREET; CLICK HERE
- THE SIGN OF THE CROSS 1932; MORE HERE
- BEN HUR; CLICK HERE
- IL GATTOPARDO/THE LEOPARD 1963; MORE HERE
- THE GREAT ESCAPE 1963; MORE HERE
- 1943, CASABLANCA; MORE HERE
- THE SCARLET AND THE BLACK; MORE HERE
- THE GUNS OF NAVARONE; MORE HERE
- WE WERE SOLDIERS; MORE HERE
- MY SUMMER STORY; MORE HERE
- THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; MORE HERE
- CHRISTMAS MOVIES WE RECOMMEND---AND 7 FAITH-BASED OPTIONS TOO; more here
- THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS; MORE HERE
- NOW VOYAGER; MORE HERE
- ELENI; MORE HERE
- WUTHERING HEIGHTS; MORE HERE
- BARBAROSA; MORE HERE
- FROM HERE TO ETERNITY; MORE HERE
- (1962) THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, now more than ever; CLICK HERE
- HACKSAW RIDGE; more here
- A WONDERFUL MOVIE TO WATCH ANY TIME---BUT ESPECIALLY DURING THE "VALENTINE SEASON"--A WEDDING FOR BELLA, A.K.A. "THE BREAD, MY SWEET", SCOTT BAIO, KRISTEN MINTER; click here
- CLASSIC SERGIO LEONE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST https://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/2020/01/yes-its-true-we-love-that-classic.html
- THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI https://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/2021/10/on-this-day-in-1957-bridge-on-river.html
- SPARTACUS; more here
Note: All content on this blog is Copyright (c) by Maria Cudequest and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content or photos may be republished or sold, without prior written from your editor and the individual who contributed the content in question. For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact the editor.