Wednesday, February 21, 2018


At the 2/20/18 meeting, the new village board voted to choose your energy supplier--Community Choice Aggregation a.k.a. Westchester Power a.k.a. Sustainable Westchester. Details are here.

BUT IN PLAIN ENGLISH--from the website--FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF THIS PROGRAM (Currently approximately 25% of the village is with their own ESCO.)

What To Do If You Don’t Want to Be Part of Community Choice Aggregation (CCA)

If you are presently taking power supply from an ESCo, or have blocked your account (see below), your electric service will NOT be affected by CCA.

If you presently are a full service Con Edison electric customer, i.e., have not signed a power supply contract with an ESCo, you can avoid CCA in two ways:

1. Block Your Con Edison Account: At your request, Con Edison will block your account, keeping your supply service with Con Edison until such time as you request that your account be unblocked. To block your account, call the phone number on your bill where it says “For other information”. Work your way through the automated phone prompts by saying “it’s something else” until you reach a live person. Ask that person to block your account. You will be asked for the account number on the bill (find it under your name on the upper left corner of the bill), service address (find it under the account number on your bill), and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number to verify your identity. That’s all there is to it.  (YOUR EDITOR HAS BLOCKED HER ACCOUNT; it was relatively painless


2. Opt-Out: Before CCA takes effect, and any time thereafter, you may opt-out by filling out an online form at or by calling Westchester Power directly at 914-242-4725. They will ask you for the same information seen on that form: name of your utility, name on the account, email, phone, service address, and your city, state, and zip code.

In either case, the blocking or opt-out may take a full billing cycle to take effect. On the bill, look for “Your Supply Charges”. If it still mentions the name of an ESCo (e.g., Constellation Energy), the switch has not yet taken place. If no ESCo name appears, you’re back on Con Ed supply service.


  1. My suggestion is to either call Con Ed directly (option 1 above) or to sign up for an ESCO such as Constellation (which is the old Con Ed ESCO and is now the ESCO used by SW).

    The reason is to protect the confidentiality of your personal information, including the fact that you are choosing not to participate in SW CCA.

    If you either contact SW CCA (option 2 above) or wait till CCA sends you a form, then your refusal is going to be known to CCA.

    That may not matter to some people, but those who have lived in Croton for a few years are well aware that much like the Bourbons, the Party bosses learn nothing and forget nothing (and I can personally testify to that fact). Given the inherently political-machine nature of SW, and its ties to the Party, some residents may wish to stay away from SW in a less public manner than telling SW that they will not participate.

  2. Thanks for this information. I blocked my account today.

  3. Ah those agendas! We go our own way. That's the American way.