Saturday, November 3, 2018

MORE PLASTIC BAG ALCHEMY, A LETTER FROM CAROLYN WHITING AND THIS WEEK'S GAZETTE

The following letter appeared in the 11/1/18 edition of THE GAZETTE. It is re-printed with permission.

To the Editor,

While placing my groceries in the free plastic bags at Shoprite I noticed a nice couple behind me in the check- out lane pull out their reusable grocery bags. I’m guessing they felt good about protecting the environment. On the conveyor belt was their super-sized box of plastic tall kitchen garbage bags. We appear to have the same need for garbage bags, but I have my plastic grocery bag do double duty as my garbage bag. This lovely couple had to pay for their garbage bags and their reusable carry home bags. Along with their tall plastic kitchen garbage bags, their reusable bags will end up in the garbage as they wear out or become too unsanitary to safely use. Their method uses twice the resources and causes greater environmental harm as both types of bags need to be manufactured and trucked to Shoprite. But hey, anything to feel good about ourselves. 

Carolyn Whiting

1 comment:

  1. what i wanna know is when we are banning disposable diapers?

    ReplyDelete