Saturday, May 16, 2015

MARK FRANZOSO GAZETTE LTR CORRECTS MR. GRIMM'S RECENT "SOLARIZE" STATEMENTS

Welcome to Everything Croton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools--in short, EVERYTHING CROTON. 

THE FOLLOWING LETTER FROM MARK FRANZOSO APPEARS IN THE 5/14 EDITION OF THE GAZETTE AND ADDRESSES CERTAIN STATEMENTS MADE IN A RECENT LETTER FROM RESIDENT CARL GRIMM: 

TO THE EDITOR:

I would like to thank Carl Grimm for giving Franzoso Energy Solutions the opportunity to address a Solar program for his home here in Croton.

I must say at first that I was a little skeptical knowing his close ties to the mayor and the solarize program that he has been promoting for the last few months. My Sales Team member reported back that Mr. Grimm was a complete gentleman and seemed to want a second opinion since his house is flanked by many trees. Unfortunately, Mr. Grimm’s home is not a good candidate for Solar because of the trees and I understand his unwillingness to have them cut down.

I do agree and support his many letters to the community that installing Solar is the best thing anyone can do right now, for not only reducing ones carbon footprint but being part of a movement to end our dependence on fossil fuels. 

I do however want to correct the statement he made in last week’s letter to the editor that Sunrise Solar and in fact all of the Solar Contractors involved in the program were chosen not by lengthy interviews but by supplying the cheapest price per KW installed. 

There was an RFP sent out that any company can bid on. Sunrise won the bid for Cortlandt/Croton just like The Ross Solar Group won the Briarcliff/ Ossining area, where in fact Sunrise is located. 

New Solarize campaigns in Westchester will be up for bid this summer. Franzoso Energy Solutions is contemplating entering the bidding process for the next round of Solarize campaigns. The Solarize campaign is a very effective community outreach program raising awareness of Solar and it’s benefits.

However, I am struggling with the fact of having to offer mid to lower range products on the market for the sole purpose of winning the bid to the consumer. My entire career in business (35 years) I have promoted and installed the best, most advanced products available and backed it with a workmanship warranty that is second to none. On top of that we are a Roofing Company installing Solar, so the benefits outweigh the competition. Homeowners like the one on Radnor Ave that we just installed a new Roof and Solar system for reconfirm every day that it’s about product and experience and not about the cheapest price.

I also want to clarify one thing. While the discounts available through the Solarize Westchester program do expire in June,The NYSERDA Grant has been extended into March 2016. That money is still available to homeowners considering Solar PV installations for their homes, and that makes up a significant reduction to the overall cost. 

On another note, Mr. Grimm states that the mayor is responsible for the Pole Replacement project to reinforce our grid. Perhaps, his administration should have waited to replace the sidewalks in the upper village until that project was completed. They are a mess now and I can only hope that the mayor will go after the contractor to replace all the areas that cracked over the winter, largely due to the fact that they did not install frost joints vertically.

MARK FRANZOSO
--------
You may also have an interest in BRIAN POWERS related letter 4/30/15 http://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/2015/05/brian-powers-43015-gazette-letter.html 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Mark. Few people realize that for most, solar means taking down a lot of trees. That was the situation at my place and I wasn't about to do that. It kind of defeated the purpose of 'saving the planet', which I think is a little grandiose anyway, at the expense of ripping down three healthy old growth trees.

    Also I think it's important for residents to remember that a lot of this stuff is done by lowest bidder. Sometimes that can be a good thing and sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense but why I take advice about solar from residents who don't have solar themselves for whatever reason. Isn't it kind of presumptuous to be making recommendations for the rest of us and hey while I'm at it, how many of our trustees, including the mayor, have solar. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I don't see any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone can verify that any member of the board CURRENTLY has solar on their home, please post the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. who has it or doesn't makes no difference to me. I make my own decisions not the government. I remember when wind was all the thing until too many birds got chopped into a zillion pieces. now we're doing solar. whatever you choose to do is your night. just as it is my right to say no not for me. thanks Mark. I think under the circumstances you were being pretty gracious.

    ReplyDelete