Saturday, January 19, 2013

SELECTED PAGES FROM THE 1975 SEARS SPRING SUMMER CATALOG

It has often been said that the 1970's produced some of the most tasteless fashions and home decor ever to grace a department store shelf.

And going through the 1975 Sears Spring Summer catalog that we found today at a local tag sale surely reinforces that premise. 

After thumbing through pages and pages of polyester, shag rugs, and "mod prints" (and laughing our proverbial rears off), we finally came across some lighting that actually might withstand the test of time in the right setting or with some modification (like swapping out the ugly overdone lampshades that were popular at the time--the 70's definitely produced some of the most hideous shades). Then there were lighting examples that had positively no redeeming qualities at all! Click on the photos....enjoy...and stay tuned for more...You may also have an interest in the updated Flickr slideshow Stuck in the 70's at http://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/2011/08/stuck-in-70s.html

6 comments:

  1. I like B&E in the first photo but the beer swag lamps and the rest, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I have one of the hanging lamps I bought at a shop in the city. He said it was from the 50's and I knew it was later. Got it for a good price and I love it so I don't care but it is nice to have a real date at long last.It's the hanging blue one in the first photo but mine is in gold yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a table lamp like the green one listed as B in the first photo. I paid $10 for it at Goodwill and I'm curious how much it sold for 1975. Are there any prices listed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many pages in this catalog were colored in by a child in red or black crayon; I was able to scrape away a little of the crayon and it appears to be $28.99 or $18.99

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the fast reply! I feel like I got quite a deal :)

      Delete
    3. You did. I have seen similar period lamps for thirty to fifty dollars.

      Delete