Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MORE CROTON MEMORIES: SCOOP 'N JUDY's, THE 1950's

Welcome to Everything Croton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools--in short, EVERYTHING CROTON. 

INTRODUCING CROTON MEMORIES, a new series that will focus on Croton from the 1940's through the 1970's. Third installment: 

SCOOP ‘n JUDY’s - (With thanks as always to The Croton Historical Society) - In the 1950’s, Scoop 'n Judy’s entertained a generation of Croton’s teens with its black and white sodas, soda fountain lime rickeys and cherry cokes—not to mention the latest music on the jukebox. (Click on the photo.) According to one resident, it was THE place to go to for grilled cheese and a chocolate egg cream. Located at 120 Grand Street, it had a number of owners throughout the years. From the Croton Historical Society archives: Stone and Scully, Vince and Elise Matero, Buddy Regan, Ines Cappelazzi, George Monks.

Stay tuned for more Croton memories. To see past editions of this series, click:

8 comments:

  1. This is so incredible. What memories. This new series is the greatest. That was a great place. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS SERIES. LOVE THE SPECIAL PLACES ONE TOO!

    And man I want a real cherry coke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More's coming. Probably next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to extend my sincere thanks to the editors at Everything Croton for this wonderful series, Croton Memories. My mother is in the early stages of Alzheimers and these articles and pictures have "re-engaged" her quite a bit. It's been wonderful to see her smile again, and to hear some of the old stories, to see her remembering things as well. It's like being back in her hometown again.Thank you from the bottom of my family's heart.

    Callie Asburgh Saltzman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow do I feel old now, lol. Keep it coming EC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for this series. It has been very nice to show my children where their mom spent her childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobby Boulanger MateroAugust 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM

    Thank you so much for this little walk down memory lane! My sister (Pat Matero) and I have many great memories of Scoop & Judy's as my Mom and Dad, Vince & Elsie Matero were the owners when we were in 7th, 8th & 9th grades. My Dad, Vince recently died at 100+ years of age - a life well lived for all 100+ years in Croton. My Mom (who has been deceased for many years) was an amazing cook and on so very many occasions I can remember coming home from school to her preparing all of the home made salads, meatballs and sauce and enormous beef roasts that were served at Scoop & Judy's. Thanks for the wonderful memories! Bobby Matero Boulanger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bobby Boulanger MateroAugust 6, 2016 at 10:11 AM

    Thank you so much for this little walk down memory lane! My sister (Pat Matero) and I have many great memories of Scoop & Judy's as my Mom and Dad, Vince & Elsie Matero were the owners when we were in 7th, 8th & 9th grades. My Dad, Vince recently died at 100+ years of age - a life well lived for all 100+ years in Croton. My Mom (who has been deceased for many years) was an amazing cook and on so very many occasions I can remember coming home from school to her preparing all of the home made salads, meatballs and sauce and enormous beef roasts that were served at Scoop & Judy's. Thanks for the wonderful memories! Bobby Matero Boulanger.

    ReplyDelete