Monday, August 17, 2015

THANK YOU CROTON FROM SANDRA & JOSEPH INTRIERI

By special request: From the Everything Croton mailbox, a letter from Sandra and Joseph Intrieri. 

To the Editor: 

When I moved to Croton-on-Hudson in 2002, a year after starting a teaching job in Croton High School, it was mostly because I wanted to lessen my daily commute. I knew that Croton was reputed to have a wonderful school district and to be a great community in which to raise children, but my boys were young and those qualities didn't mean as much as not having to spend two hours in the car each day.

As the years progressed and my two sons grew up, I understood why Croton had earned that reputation. We became part of a community that cherished small town values, a community that looked out for its children and a community with supportive schools that cared for their students.

Never did this mean as much to me as this past week when my son John passed away. He had been a graduate of the Class of 2014 at CHHS, and not only did his classmates rally around, but so did all of the parents, the teachers and this entire community. I don't know where to begin, to list all of the food that was sent or brought to my home, or to talk about the many people who stopped by, texted, or called me to offer their condolences. The heartfelt sentiment that has been expressed will never be forgotten. Thank you all for waiting in line at the funeral home for John's Visitation. They said it was a two-hour wait and that the line extended far down the street. The funeral reception at the home of Steven and Patricia Lynch with all of John’s many friends, was something that he would have enjoyed. The food and supplies that were donated were a huge help and is another demonstration that Croton-Harmon is a village full of heart and love.

I will never be able to adequately express my appreciation to all of you who were there for me, for my son Joe, and for my extended family. The GoFundMe drive has completely blown us away, and you will never know how grateful we are for that.

They say that "It takes a village" to raise a child, but its location is never mentioned. The mystery is over; Croton IS that village. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

With love and heartfelt appreciation,

Sandra and Joseph Intrieri

No comments:

Post a Comment