I have many fond memories of the train store that used to be down by the tracks. My dad and I were there twice a month, then off to the diner. A malted for me and French Fries, a coffee and a piece of Coconut Cream pie for him, bought with some of my weekend paycheck as a Sweeper and Errand Boy for a barbershop in Montrose. The walk back was a drag but sometimes a guy named Jimmy Rio would give me a lift into "town".
I was very happy to see the ads for the store on your blog and thought I'd share more of what I found with an A.I. program. All this comes from Face Book. Enjoy.
Response: Thank you. Will forward it to the Croton Historical Society for them to check. The ROUNDHOUSE TRAIN STORE ads are here. What the reader found is below; we did our own checking on Google AI:
Historical Profile & Ownership Details
- The Owner: The store was owned and operated by Warren Portman, a local resident. [1]
- The Expansion: The Croton North Station store was the original flagship. Portman expanded the business due to its success, opening Roundhouse II in Midtown Manhattan (a basement shop near Grand Central Terminal) and Roundhouse III on Martine Avenue in White Plains. [1]
- The Legacy: When Portman closed the Croton North location in the late 1970s, he sold the building to an architect. In the early 1980s, he transitioned to a distribution business in Peekskill and opened other ventures like The Train Shop Limited in Manhattan and the Hobby Warehouse in New Rochelle. [1, 2]
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment